You know what’s just as important as your body when it comes to a clean bill of health? Your brain! Caring for your noggin is vital to overall health and happiness, so an investment in a healthy brain is an investment in a healthy body, too. Check out these American Psychiatry Association-approved brain super foods!
1. Brussels Sprouts. The nutritional makeup of this veggie has been shown to defend against oxidative stress, thought to be the cause of several degenerative brain diseases.
2. Walnuts. They contain more Vitamin E, which has been shown to boost analytical thinking, than any other nut.
3. Dark Chocolate. Believed by health scientists to have cognitive boosting properties that are almost immediate upon consumption, this tasty treat is one that both your brain and your taste buds will love.
4. Green tea. This coffee alternative is packed with brain-boosting antioxidants. Drink a cup for improved focus.
5. Whole grains. Next time you find yourself craving carbs for a quick energy boost, reach for whole grains instead of highly processed carbs. Whole grains have a much higher fiber content, and their slow breakdown will allow for prolonged brain power.
6. Eggplant. This veggie is extremely rich in antioxidants. It also contains a nutrient called anthocyanin that is believed to fight memory loss.
7. Split peas. This fiber, protein, and antioxidant-rich veggie is awesome for slowing cognitive decline.
8. Salmon. Salmon contains tons of omega-3’s, as essential oil for new neuron production.